Saturday, November 18, 2006

Greetings from the Dark Continent

I've been in Arusha for 6 days now and I'm finally starting to relax a little. My flight from London to Nairobi was 8 hours and relatively harmless. I was lucky enough to see the sun setting over the Sahara from the plane and it was an amazing hue of red and orange. I had no idea how long the Sahara stretched (3 hours by plane) and can now see why it is rarely crossed on land.

After a night in Nairobi, Kenya I was up early and on a 5 hour bus ride to Arusha, Tanzania. Arusha is the 5th largest city in TZ and will be my home base for at least the next 3 months. Arusha has about 200,000 people and it might have 5 paved roads that criss cross the city in all directions. There are no stop signs, no lights, no crosswalks, no sidewalks, and rarely any courtesy on the roads. It's pretty much an every man for himself or cars first, pedestrians second.