Saturday, November 11, 2006

Notting Hill / Portsmouth Harbor, England

Yesterday I spent the day checking out Notting Hill. It's only a 20 minute walk from where I'm staying, so I took to foot. There was no sign of Hugh Grant but I can see why they made a movie here. It's quite charming. I walked up and down Portabello Road which I guess is the hip place to be on Saturday's. It's like a mile long farmers market with lots of antiques and trinkets to boot.

You ever have one of those moments when you wake up thinking its morning but it ends up being the exact opposite. Well, that was me yesterday. I woke up at midnight thinking it was noon. I showered, shaved, made myself a cup of tea, and found myself all geared up with no place to go. Darn jet lag!



This morning I decided to head down to Portsmouth Harbor which is a two hour train ride south of London. This is where the HMS Victory is located and is the battleship that Lord Nelson commanded in the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. Lord Nelson is considered England's greatest Naval hero. The ship is huge and beautifully restored to how it looked when Lord Nelson commanded it. It really was cool to see the ship from top to bottom. Oh, and I had no idea this great admiral was so short. No wonder he and Napoleon got after it.