Just Another Day in Paradise
Just a quick update to let you all know how things are here. There really hasn't been a lot of excitement except for work. I'm enjoying it tremendously and truly feel like I'm starting to make a small difference here. The 20 women I work with are all such hard workers and are truly trying to improve their stead in this world. I'm trying to follow up with all of them on a weekly basis to provide support, hope, and small business advice as best as I can give it.
(The picture is of Mama Agnes, Beata Valeria, and Mama Martha. Beata has gone from a 75,000Tsh loan to 146,000Tsh at our last stock take on Monday. Getting to count her stock then watching her pull out 50,000Tsh in cash made so happy as it is very rare to see these women with so much money. She of course will be heading to market this week to increase her stock.)
This picture is of myself, the Mama's, Margaret, and her children. Margaret's business has improved very slightly over two weeks and our big advice to her was to keep track of her costs and to package up her rice in bags to make it look nicer in the stand she sells it from. It such simple advice but often not thought of. )Besides work, I did get the chance to check out a nice little waterfall at the base of Kili on Saturday. I was invited by a some Norwegian folks of which three were nurses doing physical therapy on some sort of semester abroad program. It was a one hour trip out of town and a nice little break from the homestay.
(Sorry Guy's! The only picture I have is of the three local boys that guided us up to the falls. Aren't we a sight!?! :)
(Young man with his Chameleon.)
( Having some Banana Beer with the locals after the long hike. Yum!)This month is a big month for soccer as well. My Baba and I have been watching Manchester United play their way to the finals in the Champions League and FA Cup as well as possibly winning the Premiership. All three trophies will be decided this month so there will be a lot of screaming in good ol' Shantytown every night. If you haven't seen Man U's. Christiano Ronaldo play yet, find your way to the nearest sports bar, he's awesome!
Talk soon -

<< Home