Friday, February 16, 2007

Zambia

Howdy! I wanted to give you all an update on how my travels are going so far. My 8 hour bus ride from Arusha to Dar Es Salaam went very smoothly and it was relief to arrive in one piece. Most bus drivers feel the need to go about 100 mph with 40 people on board so you always count your blessings when you arrive unscathed. I had the chance to walk around Dar for a little while before my train departed and discovered I liked the city a lot more then I thought I would. The streets are filled with all kinds of little shops selling everything you don't need and have interesting people always milling about doing pretty much nothing. The picture below is of the fish market.
Young men saunter up to the table and dump their bag of fish where the village women who are all sitting on colorful plastic buckets proceed to bid on what its worth. It's a smelly hive of action and fun to watch.

The train ride from Dar to Kapiri Mposhi, Zambia was long. Almost 48 hours long and not without the typical problems that hamper most public transport in Africa. The journey thru Tanzania is an uphill slog for most of the way and as the train tried to get going after making its scheduled stops, we'd often have to wait for 30 minutes or more as the wheels of the train tried to get traction on the wet rails. There were moments I thought we were done as the train seemed to be going backwards more often the forward.

My sleeper cabin included 3 other Zambian men who were returning from a business trip in Dar. Thanks to their fluency in English the trip ended up being a real fun time as we discussed all the topics that people would within such confined quarters. I met up with one of the guys (Moses) in his hometown of Choma later on in the trip and he was very happy to see me again.

Part of the reason I came to Zambia was to visit with some Peace Corps friends I met over New Years Eve in Arusha. The people I met are a young, vibrant, and fun bunch who have committed 2 years of their life to come live in the African bush. They are over 120 volunteers in Zambia alone who are involved in everything from fish farming to forestry to AIDS awareness. I had thought my living conditions in Arusha were tough but its nothing compared to what these folks are having to endure. Most live in mud huts and must do everything for themselves including their jobs. I want to wish all the PC folks reading this blog the best of luck in your endeavours. What you're doing is very noble and I hope you gain as much knowledge from this adventure as the people you're helping will from you.

The highlight of the trip was a visit to Livingston and the mighty Victoria Falls. If you're not aware, Victoria Falls is one of the 7 Wonders of the World and seeing it up close and personal was an awesome experience. The Falls are approaching peak season and the spray which comes off of the Zambezi River below leaves you absolutely soaking wet. Literally, the wettest day I've spent in Africa!













Livingston like Queenstown, New Zealand is also home to an array of adventure sports that are a must do when you come here. With another PC volunteer, I spent the day abseiling, rap jumping, flinging myself across on a zip line, and insanely hurling myself into the Bukota Gorge for a 4 second 175 feet free fall before a line catches you and swings you out over the gorge. I call the attached picture "Leap of Faith."

The other nutty thing I did which I've regretted not doing when I had my chance in Queenstown was Bungy Jumping. The 370 feet bungy jump off the Victoria Falls bridge towards the river below is world famous and I absolutely could not have left Livingston without doing this. I screamed like no other all the way to the bottom and can't wait to show you all the video when I return home. Once and only once I say!

The trip back from Livingston was pretty eventful as well. After our bus ran out of gas on a barren stretch of road half way thru the trip , we ended up hitching in the back of a pick up truck loaded with tires. As we raced down the road holding on for dear life, it started raining which made us burst out laughing. A couple hours later, we witnessed an incredible sunset which seemed to make the adventure all worth while.

I'm now in Malawi in the city of Blantyre. I'm climbing Southern Africa's highest peak tomorrow and will give you all the full scoop on Malawi and the climb in a couple days.

Here's one more pic of me and my Maasai posse in Arusha. These guys guard the hospital down the road from my homestay but often come over to laugh and take pics with me.